Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rock Farming

Things are finally drying up enough that I could go out and take a look at the garden areas without sinking in mud. It doesn't look too bad. Most of the vegetation (stems and leaves and such) from last year's crops have disintegrated into the soil. I'm also surprised how much grass and weeds have grown. I swear they flourish under the snow!

Right now it looks mostly like I am farming rocks! especially in the new area that I started last fall. I tilled it up and planted oats for a cover crop. the oats are now gone (killed by the winter temps and gone back to the soil). The field is covered in fist sized or bigger rocks that were exposed and cleaned up by the rain and melting snow. I see a few days of rock picking in my future. Wanna come help?

No comments: