Friday, March 20, 2009

One Less Hen


I'm a little sad. One of my chickens died last night. She was a brown leghorn, laid white eggs. When I went off to my part-time job, she was lying under the overhang on the back of the garage. I didn't think much about it, the chickens like to dust bathe under there. When I got home, she was still there and lying kinda funny. I crawled under there (yuck) and got her out, and brought her into the house. I checked her over, she didn't have any injuries as far as I could see. I think perhaps she was egg bound. That is when an egg gets stuck on the way out. I oiled up her vent and massaged her stomach, hoping to help the egg out, if that is what it was. I also got her to drink some sugar water with an eye dropper. It was just too late. She was so weak, she only opened her eyes once the whole time. Poor thing. She dies within about a half hour of me finding her.

No comments: