Thursday, June 11, 2009

Always check your shoes!

Last night a ruckus downstairs woke me up. The cats were running around, and then I heard this LOUD squeaking. I though "Oh no, a chipmunk got in the house." I got out of bed and went downstairs to see the cats chasing a mouse. Who knew mice could be so loud!

I stood on the landing, watching the cats and mouse and trying to wake up a bit. The mouse reared up a couple of time and "yelled" at the cat, interesting. Then the cat got a good hold of the mouse, walked across the room, and plopped the mouse straight into....my shoe! Ugh!

I'm thinking "Great, now I have to fish a dead mouse out of my shoe." I was also thinking that at least I had seen this, because checking my shoes for dead mice is not something I normally do!

As I'm going for a bag to put the dead mouse in, it pops out of the shoe, and takes off, cats right behind it. Color me startled!

Anyway, the cats play with it some, and finally one is walking around with it in her mouth (ugh) and finally decides to drop it on the floor. I'm pretty sure it's dead this time, it's just lying there on its side, but I'm not taking any chances. I got an empty coffee can and a piece of cardboard, scooped it up and put the lid on.

Guess what! It wasn't dead! (sigh) I was just too tired to deal with this anymore, so I went outside and flinged it as far as I could off the back deck. I hope it learned it's lesson, and stays outside.

And from now on, I will check my shoes, in case the cats decide to leave me any presents!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HA! Sounds like Bruce's old cat...he used to leave filet of bird in the kitchen

whitney said...

OMG...startled??? I would have pooped myself if I saw a mouse jump out of my shoe.

Although, it would have been doomed if it jumped into Joe's shoe...LOL.